Monday, July 27, 2015

Illustration Friday: That's "Nature" For Ya!

This week's Illustration Friday topic is "Nature". While I was trying to think of an idea for the painting several different possiblitlies came across my mind; like someone taking a walk in the forest, or some kids gathered around a campfire telling ghost stories, or even Poison Ivy from Batman surrounded by plants and shrubs. 

All of those ideas seemed like the obvious route then this one hit me...

 I was on the phone speaking with a client and I randomly drew this quick sketch of two birds perched on a tree with a hawk in the background swooping in on them. Almost immediately this joke popped in to my mind; "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." Boom, now I had an idea to run with... The circle of life and a little karma mixed in. 

Here we have Thomas (green bird ) getting his worm snatched away by Nathaniel (red bird) who is unaware of his impending doom. 

Down below is the original sketch drawn on copy paper with a blue mechanical pencil and the rest was painted digitally in Photoshop CS6 on a Wacom 24 HD Cintiq. 

Have a great week everyone!
 Original Sketch
 Value Block-In
 Color Ruff
Final Painting

2 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous! Love the colors and the characters and expressions! This looks like it didn't take you forever... I've gotta get more like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous! Love the colors and the characters and expressions! This looks like it didn't take you forever... I've gotta get more like that.

    ReplyDelete