Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Even More Sketch Madness!!!














What's up everyone!? Thought it was about time to post up some new sketches to the good old blog! If you follow me on Instagram or facebook you have probably already seen a few of these.

Sketching is a very important part of my creative process. It helps get the "artistic juices" flowing. Before I sit down to a project I spend a good amount of time drawing thumbnail sketches. These are tiny sketches no bigger than an inch or two. Sometimes I will have a pretty good idea of what I want to create but, I find it extremely helpful to sketch the characters in a variety of different poses and compositions. My friend Will Terry, often teaches that if your painting can not read at thumbnail size go back to the drawing board and fix it.

The nice thing about working at thumbnail size is that you aren't concerned with the minor details. It's more about value and shape and how they relate to each other. When drawing caricatures it's really helpful to work this way because you are focused on the simple shapes that make up the person. I feel that I can usually get a better likeness if I bust out several thumbnails of the person first.

Now I have to come clean with all of you... getting in the habit of drawing thumbnails was a pain in the you know what. Most, if not all, of my college professors and instructors will be the first to tell you that I was not the best at planing out my designs in the thumbnailing stage. A lot of time was wasted fixing compositional problems that could have been solved a lot earlier in the process.

I've included a few thumbnail sketches so that you can see kind of what I'm talking about. I created a scaled thumbnail grid in photoshop  and printed them in gray paper. Using an assortment of warm gray markers I can quickly block in my ideas. I still have a ton to learn and look forward to more an more thumbnail drawings!










2 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots of sketching, good stuff mate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way!!! I hate doing thumb nails. I always tend to want to go big asap and settle on bad design ideas too big too quickly.

    I LOVE that lion drawing!!!!! And Dark Wing Duck. :)

    ReplyDelete